|The features of Delta Dash have been split into these categories:
Delta Dash is currently available for most modern Subaru vehicles. See Supported Vehicles list.
There are two formats available for viewing, Data Display and Graph
Analogue live data in real numbers (ignition timing (degrees), injector pulse width (ms), knock correction (degrees) with max and minimum numbers displayed during sampling as well as current values. Up to 77 channels of live analogue data can be selected. (Number varies with ECU).
Digital live data shows the position of ECU switches such as relays and connectors. Up to 53 channels of live digital data can be selected. (Number varies with ECU).
The current version of Delta Dash can read up to 77 analogue and 53 digital channels of data.
Delta Dash features include:
Live data scrolling graphs can be selected with up 4 graphs displayed on screen. These can be selected from the full analogue list supported by your ECU. Features include:
- Capture frequency adjustment from 1 per minute to faster than 200ms.
- Variable selection of data display items.
- Minimum/Maximum displays shown at all times.
- Auto scaling to show the best resolution on all displays.
- Graph pausing to allow instant analysis.
- Graph zooming of any graph at any point.
Live data analysis is an excellent tool in itself however when combined with powerful data logging software this makes DeltaDash truly invaluable. During live data capture 4 selectable graphs can be displayed. However all analogue input channels can be logged for later analysis.
|As an example, the following analogue
data may be retrieved from a
2002 Impreza WRX:
|The following digital data may be obtained
from the same car:
There is no need to set up log file names. The file is generated within your specified directory. One click and you are logging as many channels as you like. A typical log file lasting 5 minutes and capturing 8 channels of data is only 150 KB. A very fast log of 3 channels lasting 30 seconds (1 power run) will create a dated and timed file of less than 20 KB .
Having created the log file, this can be imported back into the DELTA DASH and viewed as graphs or real data. Within the graphing option we allow zooming of any area on any channel allowing detailed analysis of sections of the graph down to less than 0.01 sec. The data option allows you to look at each channel. These channel outputs are displayed as real numbers (ms, degrees, km/h etc). The logged data file is created as a .csv file which can be accessed and edited within any spreadsheet program.
There is a further development tool in the DELTA LOG which allows further astonishing analysis.
The example below shows a car with a hesitancy as it comes on to boost. The car was driven once only through the area that this fault occurs. The data was logged, generating a log file. Opening this file within DELTA DASH allows detailed analysis to find the fault.
With the custom graphing option enabled we generate a graph of RPM against ignition timing. Looking at 1400 to 2300 rpm we can see nothing strange happening with the ignition.
We assumed that this was not an ignition based fault. Then plotting RPM against lambda to see if it was a fuel based hesitancy. The lambda drops lean between 1400 and 2300rpm.
This is also shown beautifully when comparing output voltage from the mass air-flow sensor plotted against lambda.
This astonishing software is like turning on a light in a tunnel. One power run on a chassis dyno or a blast up the road and in less than one minute have a look at what you can see.
Log Elapsed time v speed - Measure all in gear times, 0-30, 0-60, 30-50 etc (road based testing only). Know your performance.
No more going to the dyno hoping you've got more power, you know you have.
Log Knock correction v RPM - Check mapping for optimum performance and engine safety. Test if adding fuel is better for reducing knock or is it better to reduce advance.
Log Lambda output v RPM v Injector Pulse Width v Knock Correction - Find that elusive hesitancy that the dyno is too slow to find.
RPM v Manifold pressure - Test accurate Turbo spool up times, no more guessing which turbo is the best for you, find out.
Log Injector pulse width v RPM v Throttle v Manifold Pressure - Once and for all, test your injectors. Are they big enough?
The list just goes on. Think of a problem and DELTA DASH can help you find the answer.
But Delta Dash is not just a data display and logging program...
Erase the stored memory to enable analysis of the effect of fuel changes for instance. No more leaving the battery disconnected at night to reset the ECU.
ECU Trouble Codes
Retrieve all of the fault codes that the factory diagnostic tools can. Up to 88 codes displayed for early model year vehicles, and up to 268 codes displayed for later model years, with full descriptions of each problem for a 10th of the price of factory equipment. Both current and historic faults may be viewed. Check the ECUs historic fault log to find out what caused that cough the car had last week. DeltaDash will allow you to diagnose many faults with your car, saving you costly trips to the garage/dealer. Fix the fault and erase the historic code using the ECU reset.
ECU Live Adjustments
Another extremely useful function is the ability to alter idle speeds and ignition timing live on the ECU. If the idle is a little too fast with the air con working or you have picked up some poor quality fuel and you are logging too much knock correction, then slow the idle down or add some retard across the ignition map. When the fuel has cleared, reduce the retard. 2 minutes work.
The package includes all software, hardware and cables to link a laptop to your car.
The product is licensed on a 'per car', or 'all car' basis. This is intended to appeal to enthusiasts and dealers respectively. Product updates for individual cars will be available from the web site. When purchasing the 'all car' license, you will be entitled to all product updates, plus any new car models added to the product within a year of purchase. Note that in this context, 'all cars' means all Subaru vehicles that adhere to the currently employed diagnostic protocol. Cars from other manufacturers will be licensed separately.
If you buy a license for a single car model, and come to sell your car, don't worry, we'll change your license to your new car model. E.g. You might sell your 99MY UK Turbo and buy a 2002MY STI - no problem !
See the FAQs section for system requirements.
Please visit the list of supported vehicles
Every (turbo, non turbo, 4 and 6 cylinder!) 99MY onwards Subaru car that we have tested has worked perfectly with DeltaDash. If your car is not listed, it only means that it hasn't been tested yet. If you buy DeltaDash, and are the first customer to discover an new car which we haven't seen before, we'll give add support for that model to your DeltaDash as a 'thank you' for you efforts. And if you aren't entirely satisfied, we offer a full money back guarantee.
The package includes all software, hardware and cables to link a laptop to your car. Just make sure that you have both a serial port and a parallel port built in to your laptop.
The product is licensed on a professional user or enthusiast basis. This is intended to appeal to Subaru dealers/tuners and enthusiasts respectively, the enthusiast version being available at a substantial discount to non-profit making users.
DeltaDash is available to car enthusiast to use to test and diagnose their own car. The software will work with up to three ECU versions. This allows use on, for example, two cars owned by the enthusiast, plus one car owned by a friend. The software will remember the first 3 cars with which it has been used, and this will form the 3 car license for the product. All software feature updates and enhancements will be available free of charge as a download from the EcuTeK web site.
This allows access to every ECU type that DeltaDash supports - this means all Subaru vehicles EcuTeK have analysed that adhere to the currently employed diagnostic protocol. When purchasing the professional license, you will be entitled to all feature updates and enhancements free of charge from the EcuTeK web site. You will also be able to access any new car models added to the product within a year of purchase.
Live user tuning allows the enthusiast to tailor the operation of their car's ECU to the circumstances in which it is used. This allows optimum use of race fuels and adjustment of the car's performance in several ways.
This is an extremely powerful feature and is recommended for experienced tuners and enthusiasts only.
How it Works
The EcuTeK Live User Tuning feature consists of several components:
- An EcuTeK "User Tune" ECU
- The latest version of EcuTeK DeltaDash
- And / Or a in car Delta Dash Kit
EcuTeK have customised the function of the software in the ECU to allow live adjustment of several engine parameters. These adjustments may be made through the cars diagnostic socket via DeltaDash or via the In Car Dash Kit (see below).
To use this feature you need DeltaDash or the in car kit and must have your ECU reprogrammed for User Tuning by an EcuTeK Dealer. If you already have DeltaDash, you can download an update from the web site for free. Then simply get your ECU updated by an EcuTeK partner.
Live User Tuning Window in DeltaDash
The screen shot above shows the live user tuning window of DeltaDash. From here, you can alter various engine parameters in real time - that's while the engine is running ! These features are for the knowledgeable enthusiast and allow accurate adjustment of engine operation for special situations. A few examples of when these features might be used are listed below:
- Cars used on the drag strip are often run on race fuel. These higher octane fuels allow increased ignition advance to be run. The ignition timing adjustments may be used here. Base map adjustment allows the overall timing to be advanced or retarded by up to 5 degrees. Learning adjustment allows the range of ignition advance to be scaled up or down - this effectively allows the ECU to learn a higher magnitude of ignition advance.
- As a security measure, the rev limit of the vehicle may be dropped. This is useful when a high performance car needs to be left in the 'trust' of someone else, such as a parking attendant or tyre fitter. This feature is also part of the map switching product and may be triggered from the car's dash.
- Failing fuel pumps can cause a leaning out of fuel mixtures when on boost. The open loop fuelling adjustment allows the mixture to be richened in order to maintain the desired air fuel ratio. High capacity aftermarket pumps can often cause the fuel mixtures to become overly rich - this feature may also be used to return the mixtures to the correct ratio. Air fuel ratio must be monitored with a wideband lambda system when altering this parameter.
- If your EcuTeK partner calibrates your ECU with two boost settings, these may be selected from DeltaDash. You could ask for an economy setting (e.g. 0.5 bar boost) and a performance setting (e.g. 1.2 bar boost). You may then select these whenever required. This feature is also part of the map switching product and may be triggered from the car's dash.
- In unusual weather conditions (e.g. -35°C Canadian winters) the boost control system may find it difficult to control the turbo. Also, in cold weather, charge temperatures will be much lower and so slightly more boost may be run. The boost pressure and waste gate duty cycle adjustments may be used to optimise the parameters. Some enthusiasts run their cars as both road cars and rally cars. In this instance, turbo restrictors may be mandatory for racing. These parameters may be used to adjust boost control when the restrictor is fitted.
- Idle speed control may be adjusted by up to 1000 rpm using this feature. This may be used to help downshifting for drivers who are not experienced in heel/toe rev control, or to stabilise idle on cars with wild race cams.
When using the live user tuning feature, useful engine parameters related to ignition, boost and fuelling are displayed in real time so that you can see the effect that the adjustments you make are having. Note that the EcuTeK partner who calibrates your ECU may select which features are available from DeltaDash. I.e. If you only want to be able to adjust boost parameters and would rather not have access to ignition and fuelling parameters, then this may be discussed with your tuner.
Because these parameters are not permanently stored in the ECU, there is no limit to the number of times that the parameters may be altered. However the adjustments are permanent, until the ECU is unplugged or an ECU reset is performed. This is in contrast to reprogramming the ECU, which can only be done whilst the engine is switched off, and a maximum of 100 times before the ECU flash memory is worn out.
How to get it
In order to use live user tuning, you must purchase DeltaDash and download the latest version from the web site. You must then have your car's ECU reprogrammed by an EcuTeK partner. Specify that you require the live user tuning option.
An ECU reprogrammed for by an EcuTeK partner, in combination with user tune DeltaDash is truly the ultimate solution for driveability and customisation.